Many teachers have been successful in raising funds for the TIC field trips, projects etc by approaching the following list of community businesses/organizations
- County Community Foundation
- County Government (some County commissioners provide funds to local groups for unique projects. Yours is unique and has many connections to local and state agencies)
- Water authorities
- Electric companies
- Manufacturing companies
- Local businesses
- Local Fraternal Clubs such Elks, Moose, etc.
DONORS CHOOSE: An online charity that allows anyone to donate to a classroom. Teachers post project requests on the site and people can chose to donate any amount towards the project.
- McDonald’s MAC grant: This grant is for ongoing programs/projects like TIC. Up to $500.00 One of the PA TIC teachers has been awarded the grant twice!! In addition her local McDonald’s representative told her to let them know if she needed anything else AND he is going to come to their release day!! Don't delay - the application deadline for the 2016-17 school year is August 1, 2016!
Grant round for the 2014/2015 is now closed. Check back periodically for future opportunities.
- Target (FIELD TRIP GRANTS up to $1,000.00): Those of you struggling to find funds for your field trips, please take a look at this opportunity in addition to the PA TIC grants. Grant round runs from August 1st through September 30th each year.
- Walmart: ($250.00 - $5,000.00) Walmart provides grants on a local level to community organizations and schools. TIC programs fit best under the “Sustainability" core area. The 2016 Grant cycle began in February and the application deadline to apply is December 31, 2016
- FirstEnergy proudly supports classroom projects and teacher professional-development initiatives focusing on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) within their service area. Applications for the 2016-2017 school year are now available.
School Fundraiser Forms
TIC McKnight Elementary Messages 2013 Thursday Envelopes
Other Grant Opportunities
Just Born Candy Company: For individuals in and near Lehigh and Northampton Counties
Captain Planet Foundation
: Grants up to $500 (and possibly $2,500) are being offered for environmental education programs for youth. Application deadlines:
September 30th--typically for spring and summer projects; January 31st typically for fall and winter projects.
Association of American Educators
: Grants of up to $500 for books, lab materials, art supplies, and other materials.
Disney's Friends for Change
from Youth Service America: Do you or a student have an idea to help make your community greener, safer, healthier, cleaner, or fairer? Sign up to receive updates on applying for a Disney Friends for Change “Summer of Service” grant. Applications open on June 1, 2016.
Toshiba American Foundation
: Toshiba America Foundation (TAF) grants fund the projects ideas and materials teachers need to innovate in their math and science classrooms. TAF is interested in funding projects designed by teachers or small teams of teachers for use in their own schools.
The McCarthey Dressman Education Foundation offers Academic Enrichment Grants designed to develop in-class and extra-curricular programs that improve student learning. The Foundation considers proposals that foster understanding, deepen students’ knowledge, and provide opportunities to expand awareness of the world around them.The Academic Enrichment Grants provide funding for programs that nurture the intellectual, artistic and creative abilities of children from low-income households.
Lowe's Toolbox for Education
: Although these awards cannot be used for TIC related field trips or aquarium equipment, they can be used for on the ground projects that serve to conserve coldwater resources and protect trout habitat such as rain gardens, other stormwater management projects, and riparian buffer plantings on a stream near your school. Projects that encourage parent involvement and build stronger community spirit will be favored.
The Entomological Foundation: LOVE BUGS!?!? The Entomological Foundation, in partnership with the Entomological Society of America, provides and supporst the President's Prize Awards for educators who are able to develop successful lesson plans that incorporate insects as an integral part of the curriculum. Two awards are offered, one for primary education (grades K-6) and one in secondary education (grades 7-12).
American Honda Foundation
: The American Honda Foundation engages in grant making that reflects the basic tenets, beliefs and philosophies of Honda companies, which are characterized by the following qualities: imaginative, creative, youthful, forward-thinking, scientific, humanistic and innovative. They support youth education with a specific focus on the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects in addition to the environment.
National Education Association Foundation
: The NEA Foundation provides NEA members with grants to improve the academic achievement of students in U.S. public schools in any subject area. The proposed work should engage students in critical thinking and problem solving that deepen their knowledge of standards-based subject matter. The work should also improve students’ habits of inquiry, self-directed learning, and critical reflection. Grant funds may be used for resource materials, supplies, equipment, transportation, technology,
Melinda Gray Adria Environmental Foundation
The foundation's grant program is designed to empower and encourage students to become involved in solving environmental and social problems; promote thoughtful and appropriate analysis and understanding of the natural world; and train students as informed decision makers through the emphasis and application of basic ecological principles.
Grants of up to $1,500 will be awarded in support of environmental curricula that embrace a holistic approach; synthesize multiple levels of learning (facts, concepts, principles); include experiential integrated learning and problem solving; and are founded on basic scientific principles, including hypothesis testing and experimental design.